3-Step Paint Programme
Who should attend?Our 3-step paint programme is ideal for paint technicians with little or no experience of working with paint, refinishing or preparation techniques.
|Course type||Thatcham Research certified|
|Duration||Varied course length|
What will I learn?
Delegates attending this programme will gain a high level of competence and have the confidence to work with paint in a modern paint shop.
Step 1 – Introduction to Paint Refinishing is a four-day course
Step 2 – Paint Preparation Techniques is a two-day course
Step 3 – Paint Refinishing Methods is a two-day course
Typically courses are scheduled two months apart, to allow delegates to develop and hone the skills they have learnt at each stage.
- Health and safety requirements in the use of paint materials
- Refinishing equipment and spray booths
- The different paint systems available
- Basic principles of spraying, sealing, masking, priming and flatting
- Colour identification
- Top coat application
- Colour properties and colour matching
- Fade our repair techniques, paint faults – prevention and cure
- Thatcham Research refinish process for new/repaired panel and wet-on-wet process
- Health and safety requirements
- Planning the repair, degreasing and cleaning
- Abrasive materials, removing corrosion
- Wet flatting and dry flatting
- Fillers and stoppers (application and flatting)
- Masking, primer application, sealers
- Stone chip materials
- Preparation of plastics
- Reinstatement of galvanised coatings
- Top coat application in solid/metallic COB
- Wet-on-wet paint system
- Explanation of Thatcham Research paint processes
- Use of coloured primers interior and exterior preparation and application of roll-on primer techniques
- Paint blending techniques
- Three-coat finishes
- Masking techniques
- Smart working practices
- Identification and rectification of paint faults
- Future technologies cost comparison
- Overview of EPA and Health and Safety regulations
- Preparation and finishing of panels with direct gloss and clear-over-base systems including high build and wet-on-wet primers.
- Preparation of body panels with different surfaces including bare metals, plastics, electrocoat, body fillers, primers and existing topcoats using wet and dry sanding techniques by hand and machine and the application of primers.
- Application of full paint system including wet-on-wet coloured primers and three coat finishes. Blending and fade out of a three-coat finish.