Using data exclusively supplied by vehicle manufacturers and checked by Thatcham Research’s data team, each vehicle is assigned a unique eight-digit ABI identification code. This translates into a standardised description of the vehicle that is used by the entire insurance industry.
The directly-sourced data is also used to generate a Group Rating score for every vehicle. Ranging between 1 and 50 for cars and 21 to 50 for LCVs, scores indicate the level of insurance risk associated with the vehicle.
Marrying the ABIcode and Group Rating ensures motor vehicle insurers, aggregators, software houses, insure tech companies, vehicle registration look-ups and vehicle manufacturers always have access to the same, accurate vehicle information and risk score – ensuring consistency and clarity across the insurance chain.
- Dataset covers multiple vehicle types – cars, LCVs, motorcycles and taxis
- More than 120,000 individual vehicle records are available
- Up to 130 data points on each vehicle record
- Industry-standard coding structure (ABIcode), allows ease of integration to motor insurance ecosystem – aggregators, software houses and insurers
- Certainty of data quality based on direct data input by the vehicle manufacturers into our proprietary vehicle database