Lead Research Engineer
Do you have a passion for all things automotive and would like to join an industry leader in the field of automotive research? Are you a talented automotive engineer, looking for an opportunity to play a key role in shaping the future of active safety and automated driving technology? If so, then we could have just the position you’ve been looking for.
Here at Thatcham Research we’re looking for a technically minded individual to lead our Active Safety & Automated Driving Research team on a full time, permanent basis. In this highly influential and exciting role, you will lead a dedicated team of Research Engineers setting new ADAS test standards applicable to the global vehicle market, often in association with Euro NCAP.
This key role would suit an automotive engineer with an ADAS background, excited by the prospect of working in the new world of automated driving and testing.
As the Lead Research Engineer (Active Safety & Automated Driving) your responsibilities will involve:
- Leading and developing the research team (currently three engineers) using clear, direct and supportive management
- Researching new Active Safety and Automated Driving topics to provide key research, engineering and technical input to inform stakeholders, testing methodologies and protocols to guide and assess future vehicle safety functionality and performance
- Managing and delivering new research projects from concept to delivery, to time and budget constraints
- Communicating research status and findings via technical reporting to achieve widespread understanding and acknowledgment of Thatcham research projects
- Representing Thatcham by communicating complex research findings to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, acknowledging and acting on feedback to further enhance research output
As the Lead Research Engineer (Active Safety & Automated Driving) your skills and experience will include:
- Professional experience within a research and development environment gained from within the automotive or similar/related industry
- Knowledge of vehicle active safety, dynamics and ideally assisted and automated driving technology functionality, performance and limitations
- Experience managing, leading and developing colleagues into an effective team
- A track record of effective research project development, management, execution, reporting and dissemination of an evolving research program
- Experience presenting research findings to influence industry stakeholders, receiving feedback and incorporating it into future developments
- An awareness and understanding of current Euro NCAP protocols in Active Safety and Automation and Regulatory developments on related subjects
- Member of a relevant professional institute such as the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) would be advantageous although not essential
What we’re looking for in you:
You are knowledgeable within your field and are confident presenting research material to a range of stakeholders including colleagues, insurers, vehicle manufacturers and suppliers, as well as other research bodies and institutions. You have excellent presentation skills with the ability to adapt your messaging to suit your audience. You are confident and would feel at ease representing Thatcham and our research at various working groups such as Euro NCAP and RCAR. You are engaging and highly personable which enables you to build networks of valuable contacts, while you excellent coaching skills aid you in offering appropriate support and guidance to a team of specialist research engineers.
Salary: From £45,000, dependent on skills and experience. In addition, we offer a competitive benefits package, including performance based annual bonus and 10% non-contributory pension.
Location: Thatcham, Berkshire
About Thatcham Research
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and reparability.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community.
All applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK