Senior Research Engineer – Automated Driving
Do you have a passion for all things automotive and would like to join an industry leader in the field of automotive research? Are you a talented engineer, looking for an opportunity to play a key role in shaping the future of self-driving cars? If so, then we could have just the position you’ve been looking for.
The successful candidate will enjoy working within a dynamic and constantly evolving domain and will be excited by the prospect of working at the forefront of new vehicle technology, driving projects that influence international regulators, vehicle manufactures, and consumers whilst helping insurers and the automotive repair sector stay one step ahead of the accelerating and exciting changes affecting the industry.
As a Senior Research Engineer your key responsibilities will involve:
- Leading the planning, specification and execution of research projects for the purposes of developing the future safety of assisted and automated driving
- Identifying appropriate technical requirements to assess the performance and safety of assisted and automated driving and other related vehicle technologies
- Managing the delivery and presentation of research testing, analysis and reporting
- Providing insight to UK insurers, aiding their understanding of the technologies for underwriting purposes
- Delivering assessment frameworks, test protocols and demonstrations both internally and to external bodies such as Euro NCAP and other influential stakeholders
As a Senior Research Engineer your skills and experience will include:
- Experience in leading a broad range of engineering or research projects, utilising the most relevant technologies and methods for the task
- Experience gained within a relevant industry such as automotive, aeronautical or defence and associated human factors would be useful although is not essential
- Experience in experimental design, including definition of research questions and the tests and desktop analyses, required to produce robust scientific answers to those questions
- Experience in the operation of specialist test equipment, including hardware and software
- Data analysis and interpretation skills, with the ability to take information from various sources such as raw test data and mathematical analyses and use it to answer relevant research questions
What we’re looking for in you:
You have a collaborative approach to working across multi-disciplinary teams and are passionate about ensuring that research is carried out in a consistent and rigorous manner. Your excellent theoretical knowledge enables you to understand, analyse and breakdown complex technical information; whilst your high level of interpersonal and influencing skills facilitates your ability to motivate others and collaborate effectively with other teams within the business.
As an organisation that believes a strong set of Values are key to our organisational success and a sense of belonging for all colleagues, we ask that you understand, represent and apply our Values of fearless, inquisitive, resourceful, supportive and trusted and demonstrate these Values throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Salary: Circa £53,000. In addition we offer a competitive benefits package which includes a 10% non-contributory pension, sick pay, competitive annual leave increasing with length of service, TechScheme Vouchers, plus more!
Location: Thatcham, Berkshire. Our blended working approach means you’ll spend time working from our head office in Thatcham and from home, should you wish to do so.
Working Hours: 8.30 - 16.30 Monday - Thursday and 8.30 - 15.45 Fridays
About Thatcham Research
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and repair.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy, Track Testing Facility and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. We are committed to ensuring we have a fair and inclusive recruitment process. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made at any point during your recruitment journey.