Principal Engineer Test & Validation
An industry leader in the field of automotive research, our active safety track testing activities play a high profile and crucial role in driving safety improvements across the European automotive industry. We deliver high quality Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) testing for vehicle manufactures and the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP), helping to improve vehicle safety and reduce accidents. As part of the establishment of our testing operations at our new location at Gamston Airport, we have created a new role for a Principal Engineer to join our Track Team on a full time, permanent basis
Working within our engineering operations team, the Principal Engineer will be the technical lead for all aspects of active safety and connected mobility testing. Join us as an Principal Engineer and you’ll contribute to the delivery of new vehicle safety testing, resulting in the reduction of personal injury and vehicle damage claims across Europe.
This role will be based temporarily in Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire before being permanently based in Gamston, North Nottinghamshire. All applicants must be willing to commute or temporarily relocate to Upper Heyford until the role is relocated to Gamston. Financial support will be offered to support commuting and or lodging during the working week until the role is based is Gamston.
As the Principal Engineer, your responsibilities will involve:
- Leading all technical aspect relative to active safety and connected mobility testing, this will include;
- Designing and developing new testing capabilities
- Building relationships with key suppliers to ensure future capability is managed
- Embedding continuous improvement across the teams technical capability
- Ensuring that the appropriate test equipment is capable of being deployed to support operational needs
- Supporting the development of the technical capability within the existing team in terms of resources, knowledge and equipment to ensure optimal operational capability
- Supporting research and business development through provision of subject matter expertise, either through consultancy, engaging in the bid process or directly supporting project delivery
As the Principal Engineer, your skills and experience will include:
- Degree qualification or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or similar in addition to commercial experience. Demonstrable commercial experience as an electronics engineer will be considered in lieu of such qualifications
- Active member of an appropriate engineering body (such as the IET), ideally a Chartered engineer
- Subject Matter Expertise in electrical and electronic systems
- Subject Matter Expertise in communication protocols (such as GNSS and 5G), with a thirst to understand emerging technologies. This is to support knowledge of Car to Car, Car to Infrastructure and Car to Test Equipment communication.
- Significant experience of PID control systems, including experience of the software code behind such systems.
- Excellent knowledge and competence utilising test equipment such as PID controlled robots, data acquisition systems and measurement systems, for the purpose of specifying and delivering new testing protocols of automated automotive systems.
- Significant experience developing test and validation solutions, including the development of new technology
- Ability to build relationships with external stakeholders, and perform well in highly technical exchanges and influence outputs.
A highly experienced engineer, you are hungry to continue your development journey as a technical SME. Your collaborative and innovative style, along with your ability to share knowledge enable the teams you work with to develop new technical solutions via both internal development and external collaborations. You enjoy building relationships and have a good understanding of the test and validation supply base enabling you to build collaborative external relationships and the continued growth in testing capability.As an organisation that believes a strong set of Values are key to our organisational success and a sense of belonging for all colleagues, we ask that you understand, represent and apply our Values of fearless, inquisitive, resourceful, supportive and trusted and demonstrate these Values throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Location: This role will be based temporarily in Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire before being permanently based in Gamston, North Nottinghamshire. We will consider requests to condense working hours within Mon – Thurs to assist with commuting / lodging until the role is permanently located in Gamston.
Salary: Based on skills & experience. In addition, we offer a competitive benefits package which includes a 10% non-contributory pension, sick pay, competitive annual leave – increasing with length of service, TechScheme Vouchers, plus more!
Working Hours: You will work on a 2 week rota consisting of 8 x 8.5 hour shifts and 1 x 5.5 hour shifts. Working hours will include daytime, some evening and occasional night work. We will consider requests to condense working hours between Mon – Thurs to assist with commuting / lodging until the role is permanently located in Gamston.
About Thatcham Research
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and repairability.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. We are committed to ensuring we have a fair and inclusive recruitment process. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made at any point during your recruitment journey.
All applicants must have the current and permanent Right to Work in the UK.