Our active safety track site is one of the leading Euro NCAP accredited testing facilities. Here we trial and assess the very latest developments in automotive vehicle safety technologies and assistance systems. As part of the establishment of our testing operations at our new location at Gamston Airport, we have created a new role for an experienced Operations Manager to lead the smooth transition and ongoing development of our track testing operations.
Working within the engineering team, the Operations Manager will be accountable for all testing operations, ensuring projects are delivered to time, cost and quality agreements while maintaining a motivated and skilled workforce of technicians and engineers. With our new site being located within an active airfield, the Operations Manager will be required to understand the needs of existing occupants and work collaboratively to avoid conflict in operations.
This role will be based temporarily in Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire before being permanently based in Gamston, North Nottinghamshire. All applicants must be willing to commute or temporarily relocate to Upper Heyford until the role is permanently relocated to Gamston. Financial support will be offered to aid commuting and or lodging costs during the working week, until the role is based in Gamston.
As the Operations Manager, your responsibilities will involve:
- Leading an operational team, ensuring efficient delivery of research and commercial activities through appropriate resourcing of projects
- Supporting business development opportunities, with support from the commercial team, including the development of proposals
- Managing department P&L accounts, and completing company financial reporting
- Maintaining a process centric environment, and supporting an environment of continuous improvement
As the Operations Manager, your skills and experience will include:
- Experience of leading and coaching a team of engineers and technicians, with evidence of success developing talent within a team
- Experience of working within in a testing environment (not IT/PC testing)
- knowledge of automotive testing would be advantageous
- Experience of automotive test and/or airfield operations would be highly advantageous
- Experience of scheduling and managing conflicting priorities
- Experience of mechanical and/or electrical system design process would be advantageous
- Demonstrable experience and success developing efficient work processes to support operations
- Experience of financial controls, including managing budgets and department P&L accounts
Your ability to encourage collaboration and innovation empowers your team to work efficiently, whilst delivering to excellent standards. You have excellent coaching skills with the ability to support and lead a high performing team. Your engaging interpersonal skills enable you to build strong business relationships, while your strategic mindset enables you to plan for the future and support business development activities.
As an organisation that believes a strong set of Values are key to our organisational success and a sense of belonging for all colleagues, we ask that you understand, represent and apply our Values of fearless, inquisitive, resourceful, supportive and trusted and demonstrate these Values throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Location: This role will be based temporarily in Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire before being permanently based in Gamston, North Nottinghamshire.
Salary: Circa £55,00 dependent on skills and experience, plus up to 13% performance related bonus (OTE £62,000). In addition, we offer a competitive benefits package which includes a 10% non-contributory pension, healthcare and car allowance.
Working Hours: 8.30 - 16.30 Monday - Thursday and 8.30 - 15.45 Fridays . We will consider requests to condense working hours between Mon – Thurs to assist with commuting / lodging until the role is permanently located in Gamston.
About Thatcham Research
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and repairability.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. We are committed to ensuring we have a fair and inclusive recruitment process. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made at any point during your recruitment journey.
All applicants must have the current and permanent Right to Work in the UK.