Human Factors Specialist
Are you fascinated with applying theory, principles and data to the relationship between humans and respective automotive technology? Would you like to join an industry leader in the field of automotive research, working at the forefront of emerging vehicle safety and automation technology? If so, you will not want to miss the opportunity to join our vehicle safety and automation research team as a Huan Factors Specialist on a full time, permanent basis
Playing a key role in shaping the future of active safety and automated driving technology, the Human Factors Specialist will lead, deliver and publicise research projects and associated tests to influence the design and safety of vehicles from a human-centric perspective. It’s an interesting and critical role that involves real world traffic collision and insurance claims data to identify trends and inform future research activities.
As the Human Factors Specialist your key responsibilities will involve:
- Leading human factors aspects of vehicle safety and assisted/automated driving research projects and test development to influence the design and safety of vehicles
- Planning, executing and status reporting of complex research programmes to produce research outputs and findings for delivery to our motor insurer members and other relevant stakeholders
- Leading and developing multi-functional project teams using clear, direct and sympathetic management to achieve productive and focussed teams and efficient project delivery
- Ensuring accurate and up to date record keeping and reporting in support of quality control of research
- Authoring technical reports to communicate research status and outcomes to achieve widespread understanding of associated research topics
- Supporting technical strategy regarding vehicle and occupant safety and sustainability
As the Human Factors Specialist your skills and experience will include:
- Degree level qualification in a relevant discipline such as human factors, ergonomics or applied psychology or equivalent experience
- Excellent understanding of physical and cognitive ergonomics, system safety, hardware usability testing, user interface (UI) and experience (UX) assessment and interaction design (IxD) acknowledging ethnography, ideally again from within an automotive environment
- Working understanding of expert evaluation, questionnaire and user trial development, data analysis and interpretation methods
- Practical application in development, testing and review
- Proven track record in project development, management and delivery
- Knowledge of relevant automotive standards and requirements and/or automotive safety, collisions and repair, along with the associated stakeholders would be a distinct advantage
What we’re looking for in you:
You are an excellent communicator with the gravitas to represent the organisation and influence stakeholders through your sound technical expertise. You have a natural ability to integrate into and lead teams, develop and build relationships and have a flexible and creative approach to undertaking projects and overcoming challenges.
As an organisation that believes a strong set of Values are key to our organisational success and a sense of belonging for all colleagues, we ask that you understand, represent and apply our Values of fearless, inquisitive, resourceful, supportive and trusted and demonstrate these Values throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Salary: Based on skills/experience + competitive benefits including a 10% non-contributory pension scheme, sick pay, competitive annual leave – increasing with length of service, TechScheme Vouchers, plus more!
Location: Thatcham, Berkshire
Working Hours: 8.30 - 16.30 Monday - Thursday and 8.30 - 15.45 Fridays
About Thatcham Research
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and repairability.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community.