Health & Safety Advisor
Health & Safety Advisor | 12-month FTC | Circa £46,230 + Excellent benefits | Thatcham, Berkshire
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and repair.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Our active safety track site is one of the leading accredited Euro NCAP testing facilities, trialling and assessing the very latest developments in vehicle safety and assistance technologies.
A H&S role with a difference
As the H&S Advisor for our Berkshire head office, you will be the onsite point of contact and subject matter expert for our colleagues. With support from the wider facilities, H&S and compliance team, you will be responsible for maintaining our site Safety Management systems and ensuring compliance is maintained at all times throughout the organisation.
Crucially, you will promote and facilitate a culture that recognises the importance of H&S, ensuring all colleagues, customers and visitors work in a safe and well-maintained setting.
So, if you’re a Health & Safety professional looking for a diverse role where you’re guaranteed no two days will be the same, we want to hear from you!
What will you be doing?
- Pro-actively maintain our Safety Management system and compliance documentation (risk assessments, SSOW)
- Ensuring incidents and accidents are investigated and reported as required by law and company policy
- Ensure legal compliance inspections and audits are undertaken
- Preparing and presenting H&S updates for senior management teams
- Organising and chairing monthly H&S representative meetings
- Maintain H&S team representative structures with regular communications links
- Organising relevant H&S training across the organisation
- Assisting the Quality and Compliance team on compliance with environmental laws and identification of environmental risks
Key skills & experience we’re looking for:
- Health & Safety and Site management experience, around 3-5 years
- Experience managing and advising on H&S operations of a busy and diverse site, preferably in automotive or engineering (but not essential)
- Recognised H&S qualification, preferably NEBOSH general
- Competent knowledge of Microsoft office, compiling reports and effectively communicating to others
- Can confidently engage with colleagues, customers and suppliers at all levels (including C-suite)
- Previous experience in managing multi-sites would be an advantage
You have a consultative approach and can work both independently and collaboratively as part of a wider team. You enjoy developing strong business relationships with all colleagues and stakeholders and have a supportive and approachable working style. Your drive and motivation sees you naturally demonstrating initiative, while your ability to translate broad plans and ideas into practical work sees you consistently succeeding and achieving objectives.
Salary - Circa £46,230 negotiable dependent on skills & experience.
In addition, we offer a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 10% non-contributory pension
- 27 days holiday + public holidays + 2 days off over Christmas week
- Salary Sacrifice schemes (cycle to work & tech scheme)
- Access to online wellbeing services
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plan (cash back on eligible medical treatments)
- Discounted gym membership
- Sports & Social club
- Payroll charitable giving
When we work - our standard working hours are: 8:30 - 16:30 Monday - Thursday, 8:30 - 15:45 Fridays
How we work - Our blended working approach means you’ll spend time working from our head office in Thatcham and from home on occasion. Due to the nature of this role, we feel that onsite presence for the majority of the working week would be beneficial.
As an organisation that believes a strong set of Values are key to our organisational success and a sense of belonging for all colleagues, we ask that you understand, represent and apply our Values of Fearless, Inquisitive, Resourceful, Supportive and Trusted and demonstrate these Values throughout the recruitment process.
We are proud members of the Automotive 30% Club, a voluntary network of CEOs with a shared objective of achieving a better gender balance within the automotive industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. We are committed to ensuring we have a fair and inclusive recruitment process.
Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made at any point during your recruitment journey.
All applicants must have Right to Work in the UK.