Cyber Security Research Engineer
Are you a technical expert with an interest in tackling car hacking, penetration testing or automotive cyber-security? Are you looking for an influential role working at the forefront of vehicle security? Working with cutting edge new vehicle technology, we’re looking for a Cyber Security Research Engineer to support the improvement of vehicle security capabilities on a full time, permanent basis.
Here at Thatcham Research we have succeeded in reducing and controlling vehicle crime in the UK, reinforcing our reputation as world experts in vehicle security. Advancements in connected vehicles and automated driving capabilities mean that the fast-emerging threat of cyber-crime needs to be understood and assessed, placing the Cyber Security Research Engineer at the forefront of automotive cyber security across the globe. As the Cyber Security Research Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring that our approach to physical vehicle security remains relevant as the threat landscape evolves.
This is a unique opportunity for a technically minded individual with an interest in car hacking, penetration testing or automotive cyber-security, to apply their skills within an organisation that will enable them to make a real influence within the automotive industry.
As a Cyber Security Research Engineer your responsibilities will involve:
- Researching and utilising new technologies and processes so to implement improvements to vehicle security capabilities, reducing future vehicle model and fleet risk of theft
- Developing an in-depth awareness of cyber-security advances and testing requirements of Thatcham Research’s stakeholders (vehicle manufacturers, law enforcement and insurers)
- Promoting Thatcham Research as a global leader in automotive cyber security knowledge and risk by delivering presentations and research papers
- Providing insight to motor insurers to support their underwriting, risk and strategic planning, and claims cost control
- Implementing and managing risk assessment frameworks ensuring that relevance to the evolving threat landscape is maintained, therefore influencing change to manage and mitigate the risk to insurers and consumers
- Collaborating with global partners to align the industry, driving change and the adoption of best practice across the world
As a Cyber Security Research Engineer your skills and experience will include:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Cyber Security, Digital Forensics, Ethical Hacking, Electrical or Electronic Engineering or another comparable subject
- Excellent knowledge of Cyber Security engineering and principles
- Knowledge of the principles behind digital forensics, internet-of-things, hacking(cracking)/penetration testing, incident response, wireless and cellular network technology
- An understanding of programming / scripting languages, networking, embedded systems and vehicle bus architecture and application
- Experience of systems development lifecycle
- Ability to analyse and interpret data and information within research projects
- Experience of proactively researching and monitoring state-of-the-art technology and technical advances
- Ability to conduct digital forensic analysis and apply investigation techniques
- Investigation and utilisation of new technologies and processes to enhance security capabilities and implement improvements
- Familiarity with risk assessment methods
What we’re looking for in you:
You are confident speaking and presenting to a wide range of stakeholders and have the ability to adapt messages to suit your audience. You understand and analyse complex technical information and are able to communicate this clearly to non-technical stakeholders. You are empathetic and able to understand the views of others, this enables you to provide reasoned and balanced arguments to influence opinion and change.
Salary:From £43,000, dependent on skills and experience. In addition we offer a competitive benefits package.
Location: Thatcham, Berkshire
About Thatcham Research
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and reparability.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community.
All applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK