Apprentice Crash Technician
Are you looking for an exciting apprenticeship where you will learn and develop skills in automotive crash testing? Would to you like to gain experience working within a Crash Laboratory supporting crash testing projects, enabling you to earn while you learn? If so, then Thatcham Research have the perfect opportunity for you.
Working at the forefront of vehicle safety testing the Apprentice Crash Technician will gain exposure to the very latest automotive designs and technologies, whilst working towards a Level 6 qualification in Engineering. This is an ideal opportunity for an ambitious individual aspiring to become a qualified Engineer and who wants to develop a long-term career with a highly influential automotive brand.
Your responsibilities as an Apprentice Crash Technician will include:
- Attending college as per an agreed training schedule
- Supporting the Crash Testing program with the setup and fabrication of test rigs with specific focus on data acquisition and controls
- Servicing and maintaining crash testing equipment
- Preparing vehicles for testing including, wheel alignment and the fitment of fabricated bracketry to allow for the mounting of test equipment (full training will be provided)
- Supporting the data team with the preparation of Crash test dummies (ATD’s) and data capture equipment (full training will be provided)
- With support from the wider team, influencing the quality and efficiency of the Crash Test Team
- Supporting projects that have a direct influence on the achievement of Thatcham’s 3-year plan, with clear deliverables which directly support us as a centre of excellence as well as driving the adoption of safer cars
As an Apprentice Crash Technician your skills and qualifications will include:
- 5 GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above (to include Maths and English) or an equivalent National Qualification Level 2 or above in a relevant discipline (engineering, science etc)
- A minimum of 2 A Levels at grade 4/C or above (to include Maths) or, equivalent level of qualification (such as but not limited to, a BTEC Level 3 or, a Level 3 Apprenticeship in a relevant discipline)
- Knowledge of metal fabrication techniques
- Basic understanding of electrical fabrication
- Basic computer skills (word and excel)
What we’re looking for in you:
You have a passion for motor vehicles and how they work and are excited by the prospect of working with a wide range of technically advanced vehicles. You demonstrate a strong willingness to learn and have a positive attitude. Your motivation towards the role fuels your inquisitive mind, as well as your passion for the automotive industry, whilst your ‘team player’ mentality enables you to work effectively as part of a collaborative and productive team.
Salary: £10,000 + competitive benefits package
About the Crash Team
The work of the Crash and Safety team has a high profile both internally and externally to Thatcham. Their work is world renown for the high quality of its research and commercial testing and helps to drive safety improvements across the European Automotive Industry.
About Thatcham Research
At the cutting edge of automotive research in the UK, Thatcham Research has a unique role in shaping the design of new vehicles and influencing ever higher standards of safety, security and reparability.
With an on-site Crash Laboratory, Repair Technology Centre, Training Academy and Crime Lab, our research expertise is driving some of the very latest automotive developments in technology, materials and standards in this fast moving and highly technical industry.
Thatcham Research is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community.
All applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK